When the museum first open ed in 1958, the third floor which at one time functioned as an apartment for the caretaker of the Post Office/Customs House became the museum’s storehouse for artefacts. Deemed unsuitable after a number of years, plans were made to construct an off-site artifactory. So in early 2013, demolition and re-construction commenced on the third floor. Plans were to make the space into more exhibition area which was sorely needed.
Construction provided many challenges not the least of which was accessibility. To eliminate construction traffic through the museum and up two flights of stairs, the heavy lifting was accomplished by crane through a third floor window. Many hands finished the work resulting in the grand opening of the third floor in August of the same year.
Here are some photos captured of the action and results.